Friday, January 7, 2011

Amazon Lily

Eucharis grandiflora, Amazon-lily, Colombia. No mater the name is a beautiful blessed gift from God.
Amazing lily would also be a good name. With its perfectly shaped pinwheel flowers and a very light fresh sweet smell it is truly heavenly.


Every bloom is perfect. blooming during the winter, clusters of 4 or 5 waxy white flowers borne on tall scapes. It is a tender bloomer and does well in deep south Florida.

This is a shade loving plant, a bulb that likes to be crowded and encourages blooming. Best grown in pots for that reason.
This plant was gifted to me from Roberta who had the plant for 25 years. I tended the plant every year when she went north and then she would come back and get it. I always said " I will take such good care of her plants that one day she would give them to me" and sure enough one day she did. Last year in a deep freeze I lost half of the plant, but as you can see She is making a wonderful come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment