Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Joey makes and friend and saves a life

Out for our daily walk in the park we often take the path less trode. Opting to go through the wet grass and under the trees instead of taking the sidewalk. After jumping over a downed tree we pass under a huge old oak tree. Joey stops, ears perked, turns to the left and leads me to a spot where the grass is a little high. There we find a baby bird. He sniffed the bird and it began to squawk. Joey being the gentle soul that he is jumps back and lets me pick up the bird.

I carried the bird in the rolled up hem of my t-shirt back to the car. I put Birdie in a pop tart box and brought him home.

Birdie was hungry and in need of water. So I took some mushed up can dog food and warm water to make it like a liquid. Put it in a straw and fed him. Just to hold him over until I could call the bird sanctuary.

Birdie stayed in an old fish tank in the warm shed for an hour or so. Then it was back in his traveling pop tart box and off the the Seabird sanctuary. The folks at the sanctuary said he was in good condition took him in and told us he was a blue jay, Which happens to be one of my favorites.

Thank you to my best friend Joey for being that loving gentle spirit that values life, all life and not just his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment